[aosd-discuss] AOP myths and realities article published

Renaud Pawlak renaud.pawlak at inria.fr
Wed Feb 15 13:50:13 EST 2006

Hi Ramnivas, very nice article!

I was a little bit intrigued about an apparent contradiction when I read
the paper.

Between

Myth 2: AOP doesn't solve any new problems (which appears to be true in
your article...)

and

Myth 12: AOP implementations don't require a new language (which appears
to be false in your article)...

What seems awkward to me is: why would we need a new language when AOP
does not solve any new problem??

If, as you state in your article, "AOP isn't a new computation theory",
then why would we need a new language. In other words, what does Java
not support in the panel of existing computation theory that requires
its extension for doing AOP?

Of course, it is an open question, but I think it is hard to answer
without defining exactly what AOP is... which is an exercise I won't
even try to do here :)

/Renaud

--
Renaud Pawlak